Commit to Fit | Week 12
Let me say this up front: this is a weird recipe. But it’s also tasty, easy, and good for you, so worth a try. Also, babies love it**.
- 1 large head cauliflower***
- 1 can of cannellini beans
- 4 eggs
- 4 oz. blue cheese (or the strongly-flavored cheese of your choice)
- 4 oz. whole grain of your choice (quinoa, bulgur or barley are nice)
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Lightly oil one large (at least 9”x12”) or two small (8” round) casserole dishes, set aside, and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add cauliflower, cook till tender.
3. Drain off some excess water, leaving a roughly 1:1 ratio of cauliflower to water volume.
4. Puree the cauliflower and water roughly with an immersion blender.
5. Add the can of beans and blend roughly.
6. Add the cheese and puree to a thick soup consistency, adding water if necessary. Add salt and pepper to taste, then let cool.
7. Whisk eggs in a large mixing bowl.
8. Slowly ladle the cauliflower mixture into the eggs, whisking steadily to avoid cooking the eggs.
9. Pour the uncooked whole grains into the bottom of the casserole dish(es), making sure to distribute them in an even layer.
10. Ladle in the cauliflower and egg mixture over the grains.
11. Cook for 30 minutes, or till a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
*A totally made-up word that describes a cross between a souffle and a gratin.
**Disclaimer: sample population of one baby. Who eats pretty much anything.
***Feel free to substitute other vegetables (spinach and broccoli are great - anything that would make a good soup will work here).